Wednesday 8 May 2013

So, what now?

Here is now.

I have never really explored the world of blogging, but happened across one man's blog and it inspired me. It was Single Parent Dad , this man's blog somehow aligned with my position in the world and I found that it was my favourite read. It answered a lot of questions that I had and made me smile too.

Now, I should say here that I am not a single dad. That would be a gross misrepresentation, and not a label that I would give myself. No.

I am happily, very happily, married, and have been for the last 12 and a half years. See, I like it so much that I even count the fractions of a year. I met my wife when I was a teenager and she was the friend  of my mate's sister. Many years passed and we passed each other at various parties and, in our twenties we started dating and, within a very short space of time I realised that she was the one. I proposed on a very cold Christmas Eve in 1996 and she said yes. The best Christmas present I ever had.

The years have passed and we have had many adventures, but perhaps the biggest adventure was her diagnosis of breast cancer at the young age of 31. This has taken us to  many places and made us experience many things. Most of them unpleasant, but a few have been real eye openers.

In 2008 (two years after diagnosis) we were blessed with our son and life, again, took on a whole new meaning. Since then we have had many health worries, ultimately the pinnacle of which came in February of this year when we were told that the cancer has now spread to her brain. We were hoping for some positive news but last week we were told that there is not a great deal else that can be done now, so we are again in freefall mode. Whilst still trying to maintain normal lives for family, friends, work and ultimately, a happy 4 1/2 year old that finds the world a fascinating place. Who's going to burst that bubble. Well, I know that I will someday, and it is looking like it will be someday soon. Sadly.

So, this is my blog. I have no idea how often I will get the time to post here, but I shall visit from time to time. Someone told me that a blog can be quite cathartic. We shall see. Hopefully it will not be too depressing to read!

Anyway, if you have taken the time to read this, I thank you and hope that there shall be more postings that you will catch up on. I promise to put in some funny ones! For example, how do you answer the question "Why do pirates have parrots?" I just love the questions that come from my little man.

All the best and, I hope you're having a nice day, whatever it is you're doing.

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this, but am glad that my own blog has been of some use.

    Good luck with this blog, and I believe writing represents a real opportunity, especially for us dads, to express and embrace our emotions. Especially at times of extremely difficult realities.

    You may cry your way through producing a blog post, but generally always feel better for doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, just came over from Single Parent Dad- just wanted to say I really hope you find that blogging helps- it can be a real comfort just to get your thoughts down and out of your head. I'm really, really sorry to hear about your wife and hope that you are happily surprised by how it goes from now. You're a good writer too. Hugs, Hannah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say good luck on your blogging journey. Hope it helps to write stuff down. Very best wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian, thank you for putting me on the road. It sounds strange, but everything that happens to us in life changes us a little. The trick is making that change a positive one. As strange as I know that sounds.

    Thanks for your kind words Young Mum. They're appreciated.

    You too Joanne, let's see where this journey takes me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. praying for ur wife, may God continue to bless ur family

    ReplyDelete